CARB Certification


ICTT as a  professiona independent third-party testing and inspection services provider and a CARB approved Third Party Certifier (TPC), qualifies to perform a comprehensive range of services including:
Airborne Toxic Control Measure (ATCM) to Reduce Formaldehyde Emissions from Composite Wood Products
Who is subject to the control measure?

The ATCM, which was approved by the Air Resources Board on April 26, 2007, would apply to panel manufacturers, distributors, importers, fabricators, and retailers of HWPW, PB, MDF, and finished goods containing those products, that would be sold or supplied to California.

What are composite wood products?

“Composite wood products” is a general term for wood-based panels made from wood pieces, particles, or fibers bonded together with a resin. In daily life, people may see composite wood in many products such as oriented strand board in new home construction, workshop “peg board,” or plywood cabinet doors. However, the ATCM specifically focuses on three composite wood products: hardwood plywood (HWPW), particleboard (PB), and medium density fiberboard (MDF). 

Most of HWPW, PB, and MDF are used to make furniture, cabinets, shelving, countertops, flooring, and moldings in homes. Formaldehyde is emitted into the air from composite wood products at manufacturing plants, fabrication facilities, home construction sites, remodeling construction, goods transport, lumberyards, and through windows, doors, and ventilation systems in homes and other buildings when unreached formaldehyde is released from urea-formaldehyde resins.

What are the requirements in the approved control measure?

The ATCM establishes two phases of formaldehyde emission standards, measured by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) test E 1333-96, for HWPW with a veneer core (HWPW-VC) and with a composite core (HWPW-CC), PB, MDF, and thin MDF. Complying materials must be used in finished goods made with those materials (see table below). All standards are “caps,” meaning that they cannot be exceeded. The standards apply to domestic and imported products.
Need help or have a question?